Contract Full Time
Functions as a technical specialist or in a lead role. With minimal supervision, applies advanced engineering techniques and analyses for problems and methods. Expands knowledge and skill set in area of discipline. May start to expand knowledge in other disciplines and/or functional areas.
This Network Engineer will be responsible for both Information technology (IT) and Operational Technology (OT) network design and implementation for Smart Grid utility clients. May offer technical advisory and consulting services to the client. Provides Subject Matter Expert (SME) support to business development and pursuit activities, including assisting in the creation of proposal, scope, level of effort estimation and implementation plans. Leads and participates in project execution and technical delivery.
Key duties include:
• Communicating directly with clients (sometimes non-technical clients) to identify current and future communication needs
• Translating business requirements to technical network design specifications for implementation
• Collaborate with and/or delegate responsibilities to a team of engineers
• Assesses industry standards for models, and where appropriate, incorporates them into our network design best practices
• Participates as technical lead on major projects and application roll-outs
• Responsible for developing and adhering to all engineering/quality processes and procedures
• Work hand-in-hand with project management on technical issues
• Develops and manages scope, schedule and budget requirements
• Leads production teams and may coordinating multiple discipline activity
• Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts
• Strong on documentation and processes
• Validates work of lower level network engineers
• Capable of optimizing day-to-day operational stability with the continual need to improve the service and deploy new services, processes and technologies
• Create or expand utility communication systems
• Understands, advocates, and supports IT and OT strategies
• Mentors others on the network services team
• Is externally recognized in industry as an expert that enhances the Company brand
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Typically, a minimum of 5 years network related work experience. Utility experience preferred.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Logical Thinking and Problem-Solving
• Oral and Written Communications
• Influence and Consensus Building
• Consulting Mindset
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Customer Focus
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Advanced knowledge of data network engineering design principles, guides and standards.
• Advanced knowledge of telecommunications technologies and architectures
• Advanced ability to scope engineering deliverable content
• Advanced industry knowledge and technology trends
• Advanced knowledge of technical aspects of the proposal process
• Intermediate knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles
• Intermediate knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating
• Specific product knowledge and hands-on configuration experience on Nokia and Ciena OTN/DWDM/IP-MPLS is required.
• Experience with configuring RF/WiMax/Microwave radio equipment is desirable
• Cyber Security knowledge and experience is also desirable.